3.11.10

Military Maybe

It started a few months ago, actually 5 years ago when he said I would of joined the military if I didn't find you. So you'd think I'd be surprised when 4 years later he brings up the marines, No I said after he asked if I would mind him joining the marines special Ops. His parents on the other hand, lets just say within 5 months he was settled on the air force soon after that PJ. For weeks after I researched and read all there was for me to know in order to prepare myself for the future we were getting ourselves into. It wasn't until he text me one night telling me how hard it would be and how we would have to go 10 weeks probably more without talking to me and if I was ready for that kind of life and how he needs to know if I am ready. Now granted for the past 5 years we have lived an hour away from each other only until I went away to college did we actually see each other more than once every week or two, so graduating college would have meant finally living together and seeing each other everyday. But anyway like any girlfriend probably would I panicked, we fought, we talked, and made up. Then came the military channel's special ops training episode where I realized okay so this is what his life will be, but I still wondered about mine. PJ doesn't sound that bad, but according to the few blogs I read it is harder than I hoped for. Still I can't imagine what life will be like the day he signs up. I know I'm a little ahead of myself but 90% of the time I am. So I began thinking, I wish I had all the answers the gods honest truth about life as a military girlfriend. I've read about tears and about being together only a short time before being deployed, but what about 5 years together then boot camp, and the pipeline, deployment. What will all that be like. So as I wonder what our future will be like I figured it can't hurt to share my experience with other "Military Maybe" Girlfriends or just military girlfriends/fiances/wives. I've seen a friend go through it, but to emotionally go through it myself I can't imagine, so until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment